I learned that whenever a tape starts running through my head repetitiously with the mantra: This is not the life I ordered! I have to stop focusing on what I don't have and list all the things I do have. For example, my list includes:
1. After a serious brush with breast cancer, I'm healthy again!
2. I have a job, and there's way too many people in this country today that don't.
3. I have a fabulous boss and six months ago, I didn't. That's why I changed jobs. (I still believe that was a good decision.)
4. I have a roof over my head, and it's not too shabby.
5. I have wonderful friends.
6. I have enough money in the bank to know I won't go homeless.
7. I have my mom, my brother, my nephews and many aunts, uncles and cousins that love me.
8. Thanks to my cats, I have kept high-blood pressure medication at bay.
9. I have a pool, I live in the Connecticut countryside, and that's why people love to come visit!
10. I have a state-of-the-art Mac laptop, that let's me write anytime, anywhere. Now that's what keeps my sanity!